COMIC STORY ARC

A INQUISITIVE REVIEW ON: COMIC BOOKS*GRAPHIC NOVELS *ALSO AN OCCASIONAL COMMMENTARY ON THE MEDIUM OF COMICS.

Name:
Location: washington, D.C., United States

I am a comic reviewer for www.comiccritique.com. I enjoy reading mainstream and independent comics. I have interviewed various artists, and writers in the comic community. such as Joe Kubert, Frank Beddor, and Nate Barlow, and others to come. I have been a comic collector for over thirty years. I still have the same excitement today when I read my first comic title. I hope to present the same vigor to the readers of this blog. JD

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Another Great one Gone!



The incredible Alex Toth has Passed here is my Appreciation!














AN APPRECIATION

ALEX TOTH

JUNE 25 1928 –MAY 27 2006

I was deeply saddened to hear about the loss of the great comic book and animation artist Alex Toth. While growing up and living in the urban city of Washington D.C. I had many opportunities to play basketball, or play at the playground but reading Comic Books and Television was my forte. Alex Toth’s work was present in both mediums and I had the opportunity to experience his artistry in both. I am forty-five years old and for at least thirty of those years I have been touched by the skill of this artisan.

Alex Toth was one of my favorite artists of all time. I was a huge fan and enjoyed Mr. Toth’s drawing style. His trademark cleft in the chin of many of his male characters was the signature little identifier to me, that he was the artist drawing the comic. Mr. Toth’s facial drawings of the characters were so distinctive in detail and expression. His action panels were fluid and thrilling. Mr. Toth influenced me in many ways with his art form. The earliest impression he had on me was the cartoon show Clutch Cargo! The amazing stills and frames of the characters in outer space were fascinating. I viewed different worlds and people which was amazing, it was as if I could touch them. The next influential moment was viewing my all time favorite Alex Toth creation the Hanna-Barbara cartoon character Space Ghost. As you looked at many Hanna-Barbara cartoon shows Mr. Toth’s expertise shinned in such shows as: Johnny Quest, and The Herculods. In the 1970’s the cartoon “Superfriends” premiered on TV. Once again, the talents of Alex Toth were as visible and distinctive as ever in the animated drawings of the popular DC comic’s characters. The story “Death flies the haunted sky” which he drew in Detective Comics #442 is one of my all time favorites. I have the book in my collection I will treasure this book always. After reading, I begin to appreciate his artistry as a storyteller.

As a Comic Reviewer Contributor, you always wish you could interview your hero or your favorite creator or artist. Alex Toth was my wish. If I could have interviewed him, I would tell him this. Mr. Toth Thank you for all you have done for me! Thank you for making me happy with your visions of adventure, and heroism. Thank you for making me believe in heroes like you!

To his family, Thank you for having the http://tothfans.dynu.com/ web site so, the many fans who knew of him and first time fans can experience his lifeworks. Alex Toth will be missed very much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>