COMIC STORY ARC

A INQUISITIVE REVIEW ON: COMIC BOOKS*GRAPHIC NOVELS *ALSO AN OCCASIONAL COMMMENTARY ON THE MEDIUM OF COMICS.

Name:
Location: washington, D.C., United States

I am a comic reviewer for www.comiccritique.com. I enjoy reading mainstream and independent comics. I have interviewed various artists, and writers in the comic community. such as Joe Kubert, Frank Beddor, and Nate Barlow, and others to come. I have been a comic collector for over thirty years. I still have the same excitement today when I read my first comic title. I hope to present the same vigor to the readers of this blog. JD

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Return of a comic book detective Icon!


The Spirit/Batman #1
The Spirit #1 and #2
Writer/Artist: Darwyn Cooke
Inker: J. Bone
Colorist: Dave Stewart

The Season of the Spirit!
By John L. Daniels Jr

The late and great comic book artist Will Eisner created a character in 1939 that was very popular. He was courageous, mysterious, and clumsy. He was a sucker for gorgeous women on the other side of the tracks. He was an investigator and a good one at that. He brawled and always solved mysteries that had so many twists and turns you constantly required a map. The man wore a disguise that was quaint for the times nothing fancy; he wore a blue suit and a blue mask. Now Darwyn Cooke writer and Artist of the successful series The New Frontier, re-introduces fans to Will Eisner's Award-Winning character known as THE SPIRIT.

If I were going to re-introduce a character that was as popular as the Spirit was in the 40's and 50's who would it be? Ah yes I know as well as DC and D.C. (hey they have the same initials) knew who to match him up with, why no other than The Batman. Both batmen and The Spirit had comparable qualities, both wore masks, both answered to a police official, and both were experts at sleuthing. So bringing them both together to the joy of many of The Spirit and the Batman fans was enjoyable.

Darwyn Cooke took the reader into both worlds of each character sharing each other's doubts about the other, and a vision of each other's unbelievably that the other even exists; each thought the other was a myth. The backdrop of bringing them together at a convention of police chiefs from varied cities was fantastic. Respected chiefs came to the convention, the love bug had bitten Dolan and Commissioner Gordon both, and they were also in danger. So who could save them both? Could it be Batman and the Spirit?

I enjoyed this exciting tale. Maybe we will see more team-ups with The Spirit and other characters from the D.C. Universe. Ok I am putting my three cents in could you imagine The Phantom Stranger and The Spirit together. Oh yeah!

Next up the Spirit #1 vol 2.



When the popular and attractive newscaster Ginger Coffee is kidnapped, The Spirit jumps into action to save her from the treachery of Amos Weinstock.

Next and the most current is The Spirit #2 vol 2.



An Attractive woman from The Spirit's past has just married Prince Farouk. Her dreams for a long marriage are not in the plans. The Spirit has to unravel her reason for why she wants to marry the prince.




The most current issue of The Spirit #3 vol 3. Cooke updates The Spirit’s Origin.






Why does the Spirit always fall for the gorgeous women with the hourglass "I dream of Jennie" body? Because, The Spirit is the troubadour of justice. These are fine tales with that old feel of a Saturday morning serial. Fans do not look for a Spirit movie or anything on reel; the closest thing to the Spirit on film is one of my favorite serials The Masked Marvel by Republic Pictures. He wore a mask and a suit and fought villain with his fists. So maybe that is the draw that I have to the Spirit, a detective, who is not jazzy, but snazzy.



The entire stories have lots of actions, intrigue, and sensually drawn woman (That is the lure of romance if you did not know). Gosh! I would like to have a blue mask and a blue suit, but my wife will fill out the Looney hospital forms out on me.

Hey! I realized Halloween is seven months away, excuse me readers, Oh Honey! Guess what I want to be for Halloween! And I have the perfect outfit for you!

I am excited about this remarkable new series for a new generation of fans and you will too. The Spirit/Batman #1, The Spirit #1 and #2 and #3 deserve an Inquisitive rating of five.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

>